Sorts of hosting solutions
A hosting service concerns saving and/or sharing specific web content on a server administered by a website hosting distributor. There are different types of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's have a glimpse at these. In that way, you can decide what you want, based on whether you'd like to own a blog, email address accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by various firms, which lets you share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a specific stretch of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely inaccurate explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the workload between separate hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various web hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given companies offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share a big amount of pictures with friends or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some suppliers provide site hosting services for websites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you want to own an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can set up e-mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting quotas. Embedding the video will permit you to use as many videos as you desire without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to possess a site. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail aliases, upload video clips, etc. At MarbleHost.com, for example, you can have a gaze at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in one place. There may be limits based on the type of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are devised for particular web content exclusively.